With Cinco De Mayo right around the corner, we figured we would share a festive dinner that would work perfectly for the occasion! This dinner is so easy to make and all three of my boys eat it (with a little extra cheese on Preston’s to hide the chicken). I love Cinco De Mayo – it is such a fun excuse to get a little festive, make a delicious meal, and enjoy a margarita.
This recipe is from ifoodreal and is delicious. One great thing about this recipe is that flexibility of it. I love that you can add more or less toppings depending on the person eating the tostada. Don’t like black beans? Great, swap them for refried. Want salsa? Add it on! You get the point.
8 corn tortillas or store-bought tostada shells
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 4 medium avocados diced
- 3 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Lime juice of
- 15 oz can low sodium black beans drained & rinsed
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup feta or Cotija cheese crumbled
- Cooking spray
- To make homemade tostada shells: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Arrange tortillas in a single layer, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt on both sides.
- Bake for 6 minutes per each side, means flipping once.
- Prep toppings: While tostadas are baking, make easy guacamole salsa by combining tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt and lime juice. Get other ingredients ready.
- Assembly: To assemble tostadas, top each shell with guacamole salsa, beans, chicken and cheese.
- Storing tostada shells: You can bake homemade tostada shells for up to 48 hours in advance. Just store in resealable Ziploc bag to keep shells crunchy
Mexican Street Corn Salad
This salad can also be used as a salsa/dip for an appetizer if you are having a dinner party, barbecue, or anything really!
½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp honey
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cumin
Splash of oil
4 ears of corn about 3 cups (shucked and kernels removed)
1 clove garlic minced
2 TBSP lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
1/2cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro chopped
1/2 cup cotija cheese (we used feta)
Let us know what you think if you try either of these recipes for dinner.